Free Consultation:212-766-5222

Leav and Steinberg Team

What to Do After an Accident With an Underinsured Driver

Most states, including New York, require their drivers and motorists to have liability insurance, but some drivers may not possess enough insurance to cover all injuries and property damage caused by their vehicle. If you find yourself involved in an accident with an underinsured driver, contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Take Pictures of the Crash Scene and Get Medical Attention An insurance policy and other documents sitting under a pair of glasses

Take photographic evidence of damage to vehicles, debris, and any visible injuries. These images will serve as evidence for your underinsured motorist claim and help determine who was at fault. After an accident, either party may have minor or severe injuries, so call for emergency medical help immediately and make sure to keep any receipts from medical costs incurred due to the accident injuries.

Contact Your Insurance Company and File a Report with the Police

It is crucial to contact your insurance company as soon as possible after being involved in an accident with an underinsured driver. Make sure to explain all the details to the company, including the nature and extent of damage, injuries suffered, and medical costs incurred. Additionally, don’t be quick to sign any statement given to you, as it might take away your rights for reimbursement. Instead, contact your attorney for advice on any clarification before accepting any deal. After that, report the accident to the nearest police department and inquire about how you can get a copy of the police report, this will help you gather any evidence necessary to make a claim.

Note Details of the Accident and File a Personal Injury Lawsuit

Details of the vehicles involved in accidents are required when registering for a claim or police report. Write down the time and place the accident occurred, names and contacts of witnesses, and the vehicle’s model, color, and plates. If your Supplementary Underinsured Motorist coverage does not cater to lost wages, medical bills, emotional trauma, and other damages, file a personal injury complaint against the driver at fault. If the motorist does not have enough assets to cover for your loss, consult with your lawyer on whether to take legal action.

Hiring a competent lawyer after an accident will help create the best course of action. At Leav & Steinberg LLP, we offer free consultation services and represent individuals who are involved in many types of personal injury cases in New York, including car accidents with underinsured drivers. Contact us today to request your free consultation.